Thursday, February 7, 2013

Beasts that go bump in the night

I truly never know what a given night will hold.  Last Friday I was hoping for a solid night sleep after a hectic and tiring week.  I was practically falling (well, let's be real - actually falling) asleep on the couch around Rhys' bedtime, which is between 7:30 and 8:00 pm.  My husband was kind enough to recognize how exhausted I was and he helped Rhys get ready for bed.  On an almost nightly basis, Rhys convinces Jim to lay down with him.  Nearly an hour later, I peep my head in the bedroom.  Just as I expected - Rhys is still awake, eyes staring at the door and my husband is snoring away.  I (attempt to) wake him up and get ready for bed. I check on the guys one last time.  This time Jim gets up and comes to our room. We try to watch "Seven Psychopaths," but quickly fall asleep.  Throughout the night, Pugsley, our wonderfully athletic black puggle jumps up into our bed hoping he will go unnoticed and be allowed to snuggle alongside us.  This happens, hmmm, at least a dozen times.  At about 1:30 am, I hear the quiet pitter patter of footsteps and a knock on our door.  For about an hour, we go back and forth with Rhys about where he is goes to sleep - his room (the preferred option) or our room.  Eventually, he passes out in our bed.  As the clock ticks on, I faintly hear the sound of what sounds like someone about to vomit - Brody, our fawn puggle.  Jim leaps out of bed and barely gets him into the kitchen when the first round makes its appearance and then again farther into the kitchen he vomits a second time.  At this stage its around 4:30am and now I really can't sleep.  Jim and I have Rhys laying horizontally between us and I am basically being pushed off the side of the bed.  I head out to the couch, curl up under a blanket and watch a movie.

But you know what - it ended up being a great and relaxing morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment